If you are dreaming of an unforgettable wedding, what better destination than Santorini with its picturesque villages, sunsets, spectacular landscapes, charming traditions and traditional food and wines?
Santorini means also beautiful beaches in a magical volcanic island, where you can enjoy your wedding party in front of an unforgettable sunset over the sea, attraction for people of all ages, and last but not least, a breathtaking cooking with local ingredients.
A wedding in Santorini offers every possibility: catholic weddings from a small church in the heart of the island to a wonderful church; civil weddings in some of the greatest wedding halls; symbolic weddings and renewal of vows in spectacular view immersed in the volcanic landscape.
Santorini Civil Weddings
The Wedding Ceremony can be held at a hotel, on a beach, in a restaurant even on the caldera overlooking the volcano.
Free from any religious, orthodox or catholic, restrictions, civil marriages are more liberal allowing you any kind of celebration you wish. It’s up to you how glamorous, extreme, traditional, stylish, simple or elegant your unforgettable wedding in Santorini is going to be.
Do not forget to check all the marriage requirements, a passport or other traveling document, along with birth certificate copies, single status forms, and marriage license applications are required. Notice of your Greek wedding must also be published in one local newspaper eight days prior to the ceremony. Divorce and death decrees are also required if applicable.
Winery Wedding Venues in Santorini
Traditional wineries in Santorini is a fascinating world. If you choose a winery to host your wedding venue, you will receive impeccable personalized service and a dreamy location with the greatest view to the vineyards at the background. Wineries is one of the most popular wedding ceremony venues in Santorini. The whole experience, for you and your quests, is amazing and without stress as the winery organised everything to perfection.
A winery wedding venue in Santorini may be the ideal destination for those who want to discovery the heart of Santorini local wines!
Beach Wedding Ceremony & Reception in Santorini
Imagine a beach wedding and reception under the full moon of Santorini sky. Wonderful beach bars surrounded by crystal clear waters and volcanic rocks offering a perfect beach wedding ceremony & reception in Santorini. Usually beach bars are the most beautiful locations for small weddings (legal, religious, and symbolic weddings in Santorini), famous for its parties! They sit beside the sea and hundreds of stars over the night sky, creates unforgettable moments for your unforgettable wedding in Santorini!
Religious Weddings in Santorini
Santorini is perfect place to celebrate a religious wedding ceremony. You can celebrate Orthodox or Catholic ceremonies held in the most beautiful settings in Santorini. As such if you are planning a Church wedding in Santorini likely you envision a picturesque backdrop and actually you can find many evocative and suggestive traditional churches surrounded by the unspoiled Santorini nature.
There are approximately five hundred churches in Santorini, but only some are available for church / religious weddings. The Greek Orthodox wedding consists in two parts, the engagement and the stefana (Greek wedding crowns). It is performed by an Orthodox priest. The groom, the bride and the koumparos (Greek best man) are the three people involved. The koumparos exchanges the rings in the beginning of the sacrament and further on crowns the couple.
Santorini loves weddings and offers flexibility when it comes to the ceremony destination and type. Weddings of all types (orthodox, catholic, same sex, vows renewals) can be performed in Santorini.
Advice, Useful Tips and Information for Weddings in Santorini
- Have a Wedding Abroad Insurance when planning a wedding like this, especially if you’re not a Greek citizen. Hope no-one ever has to use it, but it is an insurance that gives you that extra peace of mind knowing you are fully covered if any unforeseen mishaps occur.
- No matter which country you come from, you have to gather a bunch of papers, before and after the wedding, which they will need special stamps called Apostille and then translate your papers in Greek language by the Greek Embassy of your area or via a Santorini wedding planner in Santorini’s Hall legal department.
- Setting the wedding date and time as soon as it is possible. Don’t leave this for later, as most weddings in Santorini take place during the summer which is the island’s high season as the weather is at its best at the time. So, if you do not set the date early do not be surprised if you can not find an open date! Also, familiarize yourself with all the flight information for travelling to Santorini available from your area.
- To have a wedding ceremony under the Greek marriage laws, you need to prepare all necessary documents. A wedding planner can help you with the paperwork, especially for the translations in Greek language. It will save your time and you won’t have to worry about it.
- If you feel that simply you don’t have the time or the skills required to organize all the details, find a wedding planner or find a resort or venue that provide this service. A third party planner is an additional service that can help a couple that feels overwhelmed but before sign the contract ask questions. Don’t forget that you put your trust in to the wedding planner to organize one of the most important days of your life. If you decide to use one of the many hotels who offer wedding packages and plans, you may not need a separate wedding planner. Brides, ask from your wedding planner to be flexible, and give you options with brilliant hair and make up professionals in Santorini. You do not want to leave this for the latest time!
- Wedding photographer and wedding videographer are the only areas that maybe you need to spending extra money on to get the best results. Doing extensive research into finding a photographer and a videographer that suits your individual needs and ask all the necessary questions: how long they are with you, how many shots you get, what you will receive afterwards disc or album etc.